Tuesday 23 July 2013

Rain dance


Hooray!! Thunder and lightening and rain today. We've had hot and dry weather for what feels like weeks - unusual for the UK in recent years.  We'd just reached the bottom of the water butts around the polytunnel and I wasn't looking forward to carrying water in from the house... So hopefully the wetness will continue and these will fill up...



I'm ridiculously excited about these little beauties.  Sweetcorn is this year's experiment as I haven't grown it before. And at the moment it looks like it's going to be a big success.  I planted two blocks of nine plants with about a month between the block planting, in the hope that it won't all arrive at once....One plant in the first block has just rocketed up and is way ahead of the others, so I think we should have good succession.  I'm so excited that all visitors to the house are not allowed to leave until they've been to the polytunnel to visit the sweetcorn!


 

The tomatoes are doing well (as they always do), there's a variety called Marmalade there which are big beefsteak toms and seem to develop into a more bush like plant.  The companion Marigolds are looking good - so things must be OK.  I love the smell as you brush past them both, reminds me of summer, and my Dad's greenhouse.



The cucumbers are making their own way - their vine like tendrils are grasping hold of the supporting string and climbing up by themselves. I don't even need to tie them in.  We should have a good crop - there are a couple of good sized ones already and tons of tiny ones and flowers all the way up the plants.





No comments:

Post a Comment